Saturday, December 13, 2014

If It Doesn't Hurt, It Isn't Real - Part 1

Heidi can be a real pain in the (insert appropriate body part here).  About once each week Heidi listens to my excruciating emotional diarrhea and then rapid-fires gut-wrenching questions at me until my confused and exhausted brain vomits the real truth behind my freakishly ridiculous belief system.  And I pay her to do this to me.

A couple of weeks ago this oh-so-fun process resulted in me blurting out this mind-blowing statement:

If it doesn't hurt, it isn't real.

Originally, this was in response to her automatic-weapon-line of questions about how I know I've given enough.  I've been living under the belief that "sacrifice," as described by pastors and church folk I know (and, thus, I assumed, Scripture) doesn't count if it doesn't make me suffer some kind of pain or loss.  So, Heidi assigned me the homework of "exploring that some more."

Here's what I discovered during this "exploration":


  1. The word sacrifice comes to the English language via Old French from the Latin word sacrificium, from sacer which means "holy" and facere which means "to make."  Thus, sacrifice actually means "to make holy," not "give until it hurts."
  2. In the Old Testament, God required sacrifices from His people, BUT He had different requirements from different classes of people, i.e., the rich gave cows, the middle-class gave goats, the poor gave birds.  He didn't ask for something they just couldn't afford.  
  3. Also, sacrifices resulted in a delicious meal.  After the animal was burned, it was eaten, so it wasn't just thrown away.  It was enjoyed.
  4. God ultimately sacrificed His Son.  They did suffer the pain of separation, of a humble human life, and of a torturous death.  However, they did this knowing all along that it was temporary and that the Son would live again.  His resurrection would bring joy.
  5. Christ's sacrifice was not only enough, but all throughout Scripture God makes it crystal clear that He doesn't want our stuff.  He wants our broken and contrite heart.  He wants our obedience.  He loves a cheerful giver.  His yoke is easy and His burden is light.
"But what about the old lady who gave two coins and Jesus said that she was better than the Jewish leaders who gave a lot of money.  He liked her sacrifice."

Go spelunking through that section of the Gospels.  I discovered it was couched in a lot of stories about how much Jesus hated the burden that the Jewish leaders had placed on His people by adding to His Father's laws but that the leaders didn't really observe themselves.  He got so peeved about it that He went ballistic in the temple courtyard and knocked over the "get your sacrifice here" stands that folks were using to take advantage these burdened, weary souls.  Jesus didn't want that poor old lady to give away all her money and then go home to die.  He pitied her.  He loved her, and He ultimately died to free her from that tyranny.

So it all comes down to this:  I don't have to sacrifice.  

I'm A-OK in God's eyes if I never give or do one single thing.  Jesus' blood was all it takes for me to be accepted and adopted into the Father's family.  I can run right into that throne room and hop up on Daddy's lap any time I want. He's not the host of some Heavenly home where I'm obligated to bring a polite gift for the privilege of dining at His table.  He's my DAD.  There's no sacrifice, regardless of how painful it is to offer, that can make Him love me more than He already does.  

But just like my kids are giving me a gift this Christmas and telling me how much I'm going to like it, and just like the way I enjoy knowing that I have chosen a gift that will touch my earthly father's heart, I WANT to give my best to God.  I WANT to show Him I love Him.  I WANT to make Him smile...but watching His little girl suffer to do so isn't what He wants.  Knowing that my kids are going to suffer if they give me a gift would break my heart, and my Heavenly Daddy is no different.

Jesus' sacrifice made me holy, and all I have to do to make our Daddy happy is live like I believe that.


No comments:

Post a Comment