Sunday, December 16, 2012

Identity Theft

Sometimes my posts are very well thought out.  The topic I choose to write about has been stewing in my mind and heart for a while, and I've spent a good bit of time in thought and prayer before I strike the keyboard.

Other times, I write as a source of release.  Somehow seeing my less-filtered, gut reaction in black and white is cathartic.  On these occasions, I rarely post links or share the entry with others.  It is solely meant to be part of my healing process.

I think today I might be combining these two approaches.  I have not spent a lot of time in thought, because thinking about this brings up too many memories and, quite simply, hurts too much.  However, it is something that constantly hovers in the back of my mind, and world events often drag it kicking and screaming to the forefront, where I am forced to spend some contemplative energy on it. 

The shooting in Connecticut was horrific.  Most of what I know is from internet news sites and Facebook posts....followed by Snopes.com clarifications.  However, I know enough to realize this was an epic tragedy that has radically affected many lives and has upset a nation of families.

Each of us has life experiences that specifically prepare us to intercede for and comfort individuals throughout their trials.  Right now, I am led to pray long and hard for the family of the shooter.  I know how hard it is to love someone who does something horrible.  Every good memory of them becomes a source of guilt.  The happy times are blanketed in a thick coat of shame and heartache.  Every photo album and family video suddenly morphs from a walk and skip down memory lane into a lumbering funeral march of doubt and analyses. This family once known by their names or career, but now identified by the violent acts of one member, needs love and care and prayers and peace and mercy.  And hope...oh, how they need hope.

Please, Father, hold that family, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment