Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Freedom isn't Free

"Freedom isn't free."  Its a phrase most of us have heard, and each of us has our own understanding of how it applies to our lives.  Some think of friends and loved ones who gave their lives to defend the rights afforded Americans in our Constitution.  Others think of the Cross, and the price Christ paid for our right relationship with the Father.  Right now, I'm thinking about my puppy and earthly belongings.

It all sounded like such a simple plan when we opened our hearts and minds to the concept of answering God's call to ISCA.  We were going to "downsize" and move into the ministry home.  Straight-cut and easy, right?  It is proving to be very difficult.

I would like to be able to say, "I hold everything loosely and am willing to give up everything for Christ."  But looking into the eyes of my little Sophie and knowing that I might actually have to relinquish her completely to someone else...I recognize the strong hold earthly things still have on my heart. I don't think its wrong to love my sweet puppy so much, however, I know that questioning going into ministry because of my attachment to a dog is foolish, doubtful, mistrustful, and just a symptom of a bigger struggle.

I want it all.  I want to continue living the American dream of working hard and enjoying the reward AND obedience to Christ.  In my heart, I believe that is true freedom: to love Jesus, and do whatever I want.

But God never once promised that in Scripture.  He always promised struggle, difficulty, hardship for His sake.  Freedom always requires death...Christ on the Cross, soldiers in battle, and my heart to this world.

So, I look at my lovely home and the beautiful things we've worked so hard to obtain (even though each and every one of these things is a gift from God), and I pray that God will give me the strength to let them go.  I pray that God will allow us to break free from the chains of materialism and to no longer  live a life of slavery to our mortgage.  I pray that we will no longer be imprisoned by our blessings, but will be free to say "YES" to whatever the Father asks.  (I pray I'll get to visit my Sophie)

Freedom isn't free, but it is right there, ready for me to drop everything and grasp it with both hands...hands I can raise in praise to the one who made me free!


1 comment:

  1. i saw a church marquee that had a quote about freedom that i was debating in my mind...i think they were shooting for something along the lines of your message, but missed the target a bit! of course, they only had three lines and maybe 100 alphabet letters. you're "spot on," as the trendy say!

    ReplyDelete