Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Looking in the Rear View Mirror

Recently I was thinking about where we live right now, and I wondered what 25 year-old me would have to say about it.  As is often the case, that led to dredging up some history and contemplation about all that has gone into us arriving at this point in our lives.  I realized I have always been a very blessed woman.

I recognize we live in a world full of prejudice.  I am certainly not immune to this, but I was very blessed to have a mother who was diligent to teach me that all people are essentially the same.  When I was young, I wasn't even allowed to use the word "black."  My mother taught me, "If you need to describe what a person looks like, then describe what they look like."  People were tall, with black curly hair and medium brown skin, or they were short with freckles and long blonde hair, etc.  I am so very grateful to have been raised in a family that taught me to look at a person's outside as just that...only the outside.

When I was in 8th grade, my mother took me out of the very exclusive private school I had attended since first grade and moved me to the public school in my area.  I grew up in rural, coastal South Carolina, and people of European ancestry are definitely in the minority in that part of the world.  I graduated as the only "white" person in my high school class.  It wasn't easy, but I learned how to get along with people who didn't look like me and who had a somewhat different cultural experience than I did.  I had a lot of friends, in part I believe, because I had grown up knowing that we are all the same.  I am very grateful that I was able to experience being a minority in the school culture.  It taught me empathy, that's for sure.

I was also raised a Jehovah's Witness.  This group is often ostracized and ridiculed for their religious practices and beliefs.  I experienced what its like to be made fun of for my beliefs.  In 1990, I was introduced to Jesus...God the Son.  Jehovah's Witnesses practice excommunication when a person breaks moral laws or questions the teachings.  I chose to leave the religion of my childhood, and in so doing have not been able to speak to or associate with my mother or my childhood friends.  I know what its like to give up everyone I love (well...except my husband) for my beliefs.  I have a limited idea of what our students would have to do if they chose to follow Christ.  I am very grateful to have that knowledge and understanding.

There are so many other experiences I can look back upon and realize everything was happening to help prepare me for this time in our lives.  I didn't fully appreciate them at the time, but boy do I now!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment