Saturday, April 28, 2012

My Gentle Strength


Today is a GORGEOUS day here in NWA, and I cannot think of anywhere I'd rather be.  Even in this state of limbo, I am just so grateful for the life I have.

Things are still a bit up in the air as to what my husband and I will be doing for our ministry, but we are more certain than ever that we will be working side by side.  This is a miracle in itself.  

Just two years ago, I remember crying out to my Father and friends that I desperately wanted my husband to be a strong man of God.  I compared him to men I knew little about other than their public persona.  How could I know it would take the passing of a dear friend to open my eyes to the quiet strength he already possessed? 

We had known Ike Kirk for many years back in Maryland.  He was a man of very few words, but he was the very picture of "peaceful strength."  If there was a need in the church body, Ike was there to meet it.  You never had to ask, he just heard and responded.  On one particular occasion, we had moved into a new home and needed to have the locks changed.  Mr. Kirk just showed up and did it.  I'm still not sure how he knew it needed done.

I don't think I realized how much my husband loved that gentle man until he wasn't here anymore.  As we talked about him together, I saw for the first time, that my husband  is just like Ike Kirk.  He is quiet, yet strong; gentle and faithful; self-sacrificing and humble; a servant-leader and in love with his Savior.  He is a mighty man of God in so many ways.  

This week, we are meeting with a couple to discuss the possibility of a ministry that we can do together.  I can be my usual outgoing, loud, somewhat crazy and spontaneous self, and Rick can be his steady, faithful, gentle, loyal, quietly strong self.  Together, we can model what it means to be a Christian couple in the United States.  (I'll share more about the ministry after the meeting.)

Please, pray for us as we consider the opportunities before us.  Please pray that our desire for earthly security and status won't cloud our decisions.   Please pray that we will hold every possession loosely, and that Jesus' fame will be our only consideration.

As for my music today, well...I've been thinking about how much my husband loves books and movies about war.  I cannot stand them; however, it occurred to me that he loves these movies about men who gave up everything for what they believed in.  That is important to him...to sacrifice for your beliefs.  I know he does that and is willing to do more.  So, my gentle strength....This ones for you : )





You never lived to see
What you gave to me
One shining dream of hope and love
Life and liberty

With a host of brave unknown soldiers
For your company, you will live forever
Here in our memory

In fields of sacrifice
Heroes paid the price
Young men who died for old men's wars
Gone to paradise

We are all one great band of brothers
And one day you'll see we can live together
When all the world is free

I wish you'd lived to see
All you gave to me
Your shining dream of hope and love
Life and liberty

We are all one great band of brothers
And one day you'll see - we can live together
When all the world is free

No comments:

Post a Comment