Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Uphill...both ways

Part of my journey toward a healthy lifestyle involves physical exercise.  I have actually come to love hopping on my bicycle and riding around town.  Who would've ever thought I'd admit to enjoying exercise?!  It clears my mind and helps me focus in a way I haven't known in quite a while.

Today I had one of those "deep thought" moments while I was riding back from meeting a friend for tea and conversation.  The ride there was much faster than I expected, and I was feeling mighty proud of myself.  I had time to order my beverage, scope out and claim one of the coveted booths, and stop sweating before my friend arrived.

Although my ride to the coffee lab was faster than usual, it was still your basic Fayetteville ride...downshifting and struggling (followed by whimping out and walking) uphill then flying downhill with my feet off the pedals, channeling my inner five-year-old.

The ride back was radically different.  Fayetteville is one of those unique places on the planet where you really do travel uphill both ways.  As soon as I made the turn onto the bike path leading south toward my home, the wind practically knocked me backwards off my bike.  Every rotation of the tires required extra effort.  My eyes were watering and I was struggling to breath normally within the first mile.  It was then I had my epiphany...so to speak.

The ride to coffee was full of struggles uphill just like the return trip; however, riding against the wind made it practically impossible.  Several times in Scripture the Holy Spirit is compared to breath and wind.  When I take the time to stop and listen to God's Word, to be still and wait for that quiet voice to speak to me, I'm riding with the wind.  There are still hills...to struggle up and coast down.  I must still work, and it isn't always easy, but with the wind at my back I'm encouraged to keep going and to overcome...to prevail.

When I turn the opposite way, going away from the Spirit's direction, I am riding into the wind.  The hills seem steeper, and the usual invigorating cresting of the hill is followed by eye-stinging, breath-taking descent.  At the end of the ride, I'm exhausted.  Instead of feeling refreshed and focused, I'm just happy its over.

When it comes to riding my bike, even if I take the time to check the direction of the wind, returning home will be rough.  Thankfully, in life, I can throw some dust into the wind and see which way it blows, then ride with it all the way to the final destination...home.


No comments:

Post a Comment